In this article we will be discussing about HTTP protocol. HTTP is the foundation of data communication for the world wide web. HTTP stands for “Hyper Text Transfer Protocol”. It was implemented first by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in 1990.The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is designed to enable communications between clients and servers.
HTTP works as a request-response protocol between a client and server.
A web browser using which a request is initiated is called as a client and a web server which respond’s to that request is called as a server.
- Parameters remain in browser history because they are part of the URL.
- The GET method is restricted to send upto 1024 characters only.
- GET can’t be used to send binary data, like images or word documents, to the server.
- GET method should not be used when sending passwords or other sensitive information.
- The data sent by GET method can be accessed using QUERY_STRING environment variable.
- Can be bookmarked.
- The PHP provides $_GET associative array to access all the sent information using GET method.
- Parameters are not saved in browser history.
- The POST method does not have any restriction on data size to be sent.
- The POST method can be used to send ASCII as well as binary data.
- The data sent by POST method goes through HTTP header so security depends on HTTP protocol. By using Secure HTTP you can make sure that your information is secure.
- Can not be bookmarked.
- The PHP provides $_POST associative array to access all the sent information using POST method.